1 3 Installation
1 4 Positioning
2 5 Connecting
3 6 Controls and System Setup
4 7 Specification
5 8 The Linear Range
5 9 Warranty
5 10 Contact Acoustic Energy
3 . I n s t a l l a t i o n
Welcome to the Linear Sub. Perhaps more than
any other hi-fi product, speakers are sensitive to
installation so please take a little time to read
this manual and to follow, as far as practical,
the installation guidelines it contains. Careful
installation will help ensure that your Linear Sub
performs optimally. Should you have any questions
not covered here we are happy to try and answer
them either by telephone or email. Contact
information can be found in Section 11.
Following this introduction, the Manual is divided
into sections covering handling, installation,
positioning, connecting, controls and system setup,
specifications, matching products, warranty and
contact information. We recommend that you read
at least the first six of these sections carefully before
installing and using your Linear Sub. We would
also draw your attention to the Important Safety
Instructions on this page.
Finally, please enjoy your Linear Sub, but remember
it is capable of generating high volume levels of
low frequency sound, so please also be considerate
of your neighbours.
The Linear Sub is a relatively delicate precision
engineered product that can be damaged by
inappropriate handling. It is also large and heavy.
Please take great care therefore when unpacking
or moving it. Plan any handling in advance of
carrying it out - ideally with a second person to
help. Please take care when unpacking or moving
the subwoofer not to touch any of the drivers.
Damage to a driver will at best degrade the
Linear Sub’s performance and at worst result in its
The enclosure surfaces should also be handled
sympathetically. Any cleaning should only require a
soft cloth, slightly dampened if necessary. Be wary
of using any polishes or solvent based cleaning
The packaging should be retained for future use.
C o n t e n t s
Important Safety Instructions
Ensure that your Linear Sub is set to the appropriate mains input voltage before it is connected to a mains socket. The warranty does not cover damage caused by incorrect mains voltage.
1. Read these instructions.
2. Keep these instructions.
3. Heed all warnings.
4. Follow all instructions.
5. Do not use this apparatus near water.
6. Clean only with dry cloth.
7. Do not block any ventilation openings. Install in accordance with the manufacturer’s instructions.
8. Do not install near any heat sources such as radiators, heat registers, stoves, or other apparatus (including amplifiers) that produce heat.
9. Do not defeat the safety purpose of the grounding-type plug. A grounding type plug has two blades and a third grounding prong. The third prong is provided for your safety. If the provided plug does not fit into your outlet, consult an electrician for replacement of the obsolete outlet.
10. Protect the power cord from being walked on or pinched particularly at plugs, convenience receptacles, and the point where they exit from the apparatus.
11. Only use attachments/accessories specified by the manufacturer.
12. Use only with the cart, stand, tripod, bracket, or table specified by the manufacturer, or sold with the apparatus. When a cart is used, use caution when moving the cart/apparatus combination to avoid injury from tip-over.
13. Unplug this apparatus during lightning storms or when unused for long periods of time.
14. Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. Servicing is required when the apparatus has been damaged in any way, such as power-supply cord or plug is damaged, liquid has been spilled or objects have fallen into the apparatus, the apparatus has been exposed to rain or moisture, does not operate normally, or has been dropped.
15. The apparatus shall not be exposed to dripping or splashing and that no objects filled with liquids, such as vases, shall be placed on the apparatus.
16. The MAINS plug is used as the disconnect device, the disconnect device shall remain readily operable.
17. To reduce the risk of fire or electric shock, do not expose this apparatus to rain or moisture.
1 . I n t r o d u c t i o n
2 . H a n d l i n g