5. Tips on Using the Image Stabilizer
The image stabilizer in this lens is effective for hand-held shots under the following conditions.
•In semi-darkened areas such as indoors or outdoors at night.
• In locations where flash photography is prohibited, such as art museums \
and theater stages.
• In situations where your footing is uncertain.
• In situations where fast shutter settings cannot be used.
• The Image Stabilizer cannot compensate for a blurred shot caused by a su\
bject that moved.
• Set the STABILIZER switch to OFF when using the camera on a tripod. If the switch \
is set to ON, the Image Stabilizer may
• Set the STABILIZER switch to OFF when you are taking pictures using the Bulb setti\
ng (long exposures). If the
STABILIZER switch is set to ON, the image stabilizer function may introduc\
• The Image Stabilizer might not be fully effective in the following cases:
•Y ou move the camera for a panned shot.
•Y ou shoot while riding on a bumpy road.
•The Image Stabilizer consumes more power than normal shooting, so fewer \
shots can be taken if you use the function.
• The image stabilizer operates for about two seconds even when your finge\
r is off the shutter button. Do not remove the
lens while the stabilizer is in operation. This will cause a malfunction.
•W ith the EOS-1V/HS, 3, ELAN 7E/ELAN 7/30/33, ELAN 7NE/ELAN 7N/30V/33V, ELAN II/ELAN II E/50/50E, REBEL
2000/300, IX, IX Lite/IX7, and D30, the Image Stabilizer will not work d\
uring self-timer operation.
• The stabilizer is equally effective for hand-held photography and photography with a monopod.
• The image stabilizer function also operates when the lens is used with a\
n extension tube EF12 II or EF25 II.
• Depending on the camera there may be image shake, such as after releasin\
g the shutter. However, this does not affect
• If you set the camera’s Custom Function to change the assigned button to operate the AF, the Image Stabilizer will operate
when you press the newly assigned AF button.
02-7594_ENG 10.2.13 9:46 AM Page 7